Fractional General Counsel - What it's like?
Ever wonder what it’s like to have a lawyer for your business in your pocket? Someone you can call when that unreasonable customer starts making demands or you get a 75-page contract you don’t understand? Our fractional general counsel clients know what it’s like!
How does it work?
We get lots of questions about our monthly service plan. Think of it as a one-stop-shop for your transactional business law needs.
1. Legal audit. Most of our monthly plans start with a comprehensive audit of your current legal position. Kate will meet with you, discuss any concerns you have about your business, and walk through your responses to our business protection checklist. Then she’ll use this information to create a road map for addressing your business’s most pressing concerns, in order of priority, over the next 6-12 months.
2. Meet monthly. Next, you’ll meet with Kate monthly to check in on how things are going in your business. These meetings let her get to know your business and to learn how you like to work. It’s a great way to stay ahead of potential problems and to identify opportunities for your business. The truth is that you don’t know what you don’t know, and we often catch things our clients didn’t know to look out for. We’ll update your legal strategy as needed after each meeting.
3. Call us anytime you need us. Ever call a lawyer and have to wait 2 weeks for a consult, then another week to get onboarded, and before you know it, it’s a month before anything gets done? Not anymore. Your business moves fast, and we do, too! When you’re on a monthly plan with us, you know who to call, you know you will get a quick response, and you know we will get started right away.
4. Send us your legal stuff. This saves you time! The best part of our monthly plans is that we take the legal work that you didn’t sign up for off your plate. You don’t have to waste time explaining your business, the way you like things done, or your goals to a new lawyer every time you start a new project because we already know! The longer we work together, the better we get to know you, and the more we can handle for you. The real value is in building a relationship with someone who’s got your back.
What can we do for you?
Most of our work for monthly clients falls into 5 buckets, but it’s a little different for everyone! Never hesitate to ask if you think your business needs something that’s not on the list. We’ll make it work if we can, and if not, we have a great network of professionals we can refer you to.
1. Contracts. This is the bread and butter of our monthly plans. Your salespeople and business executives aren’t lawyers and shouldn’t be writing or reviewing contracts for you. We can create and review your licensing agreements, cloud services agreements, and data sharing agreements. We review and negotiate tons of client contracts, master services agreements, vendor contracts, NDA’s, leases, subcontractor agreements, and pretty much any other commercial contract you can think of.
2. Intellectual Property. Trademark protection and copyright protection are things we help our clients with all the time. We can file registrations for you, deal with anyone who is stealing your IP, and put safeguards in place to keep it from happening again.
3. Data Privacy. We also handle data privacy compliance and strategy for our clients. More and more states are limiting what businesses can do with personal information, and most businesses simply aren’t prepared for what’s coming. Lots of big law firms and multi-national corporations have privacy teams to help. We think smaller businesses should get the same support.
4. WTF Questions. These are the things you don’t see coming that make you go “WTF?”. That customer who gives you rave reviews but files a consumer complaint two months later. Or maybe it’s the one who makes offensive comments about your employees or business partner. Sometimes business owners just don’t have the time or the patience to handle these things themselves. That’s where we come in!
5. Business Structure. Want to set up a new business or change the structure of your current one? We’ll be there every step of the way. We also handle brand, asset, and business purchases and sales to see our clients through their business’s life cycle.
Who’s it for?
Our monthly plans are best for busy entrepreneurs with fast-growing businesses who want to stay protected as they reach the next level. We think there’s enormous value in building an ongoing relationship with the person protecting your business and hope you do, too! It’s a done-for-you service that makes business owner life easier and less stressful. We’re a good fit for you if you appreciate to the point, practical advice. Above all, our goal is to educate our clients so that they truly understand the legal issues facing their businesses and feel empowered to make the right decisions for their future.
Sound like something your business needs?